Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My mother's sisters

 She looked at me in the eye even when she knows she's uninvited. I don't want her here. I bet she doesn't want to be here too. Out of mock curiosity and a bit of spit right into my face she brought her courage to greet me with a smile, a fake one.
  I heard her stories before. Knowing we grew up together somehow seems like a very distant memory now. I could feel her hate raging in her veins. She can kill me with one look  and throw fire from her mouth. I don't know exactly what happened with the little girl I used to know - the one with long black hair with severe dry hands who used to call me in the middle of the night to talk about boys. She's gone now. In front of me stood a monster version of her instead, with her stare as sharp as a needle.
   A few days back she came with my Mom's sister. I tried to push away the memory of our last fight. All I know is that we are connected still, we came from the same blood from our mothers. And yet with my mighty effort to be nice to them and to her it's sad to know that they only came to remember me for one thing. They came for what, exactly? for gifts, for money, for anything I could possibly give that I own. And if I fail, there they go with their bitter words spreading across town. Somehow I am guilty. I expect people to feel the same way I feel. I thought everyone can just be nice without expecting anything in return. Truth is, sometimes  those whom you used to call family are the ones who treat you like a stranger.

     I lost my mother. I don't owe you my life for what you had done for her while she was in her death bed.... When I ran out of things to give I wonder if You will still be there for me. 
     And if the sun fails to shine tomorrow please don't throw rocks at me for I don't own the sun. 
 


  You can only test the people who are  for real when you've got nothing left  to give.
      They wear their smiles but they talk behind your back.
      Call you names like you never had a relationship.
      I am not perfect and I don't expect people to be perfect.
      And it's disappointing to find out that people whom you trust can be the hardest.
     May God grant me the serenity to forgive....

2 comments: