Sunday, September 22, 2013

#Motivation, Inspiration ( and the story of the man who can't read and my impulse on buying paperback )

I can't believe I just bought the biggest size of Coffee Crumble yesterday in Carrefour. I should blame my friend Noor for talking excessively while I'm grocery shopping. Bumping into her in the supermarket should not be shocking considering Deira City Center is the nearest decent shopping mall around Nahda. But the reason behind my immediate disbelief with the situation was finding a 40-year old man standing beside her with a foolish grin plastered across his face. Aha! Mr. M!, I silently exclaimed. The infamous Mr. M! who ditched her for three months after a tumultuous Sydney flight. The guy who went MIA, broke her heart but who obviously pedaled his way back in to her life. She looked happy. While Mr. M was mumbling something about our pictures in Facebook which as far as I remember I haven't posted anything interesting or extraordinary recently. I guess it was his way of being polite or pretending he knew me before .
After about an hour of picking up stuff and changing grocery aisles I left her with Mr. M while I sheepishly gathered my fresh goods and my big bad baby of sinful delight. It sure felt like I am throwing a party for myself with all the stuff I bought. I was secretly hoping to cook dinner for my beau on his day off if our lovely Scheduling people will let me.

So I ended up eating a quarter of the whole ice cream pint with major guilt on the side. Expectedly this morning I double my turn in the treadmill. Goodness gracious I just can't resist the temptation with its marvelous bitter-after taste and its rich coffee sweetness. I believe having ice cream in my freezer is a great excuse to work out harder.
But this morning session at the gym was not typical. Most fitness establishments in Dubai are sorted by Gender. Female and Male cabin in the Metro, even sometimes the queue at the checkout line is divided by Gender. I like the fact they give high priority to women and children, because with all these different nationalities living in this country you may never know if that person next to you may impose danger. So anyway, with two other female fitness enthusiasts working out in the gym today as they were about to finish their last set doing the lifts, an alien suddenly came to break the norm. Confident, unaffected but serious darting eyes towards us, this person suddenly made me feel that indeed pervs can be just about anywhere. He took some equipment and bravely demonstrate how he keep himself fit. I started to lose my desire to stay longer. This guy got some serious nerve to show off even when girls will obviously repel from his attempt. Maybe be can't read or maybe he's plain dumb to follow rules. I turned the volume up so I won't hear his dramatic moans as he do the heavy lifting. Sadly I wasn't able to bust my yoga poses afraid that this guy was just waiting to take a peak of my underwear or more. Call me paranoid but with all the stories I've heard I had enough. In the lifts, in the Metro station, in the cabin itself, during or after a taxi ride I had witness or experienced what being alone with a stranger might end up happening. I am certainly not aiming for somebody to squeeze my butt cheek (again) if you're not boyfriend. Tomorrow I will run at six am.

With no Internet and so many days off and boyfriend working so hard and having a day or two to recharge I mostly find myself everywhere Dubai with my cousins or friends or with her- me myself and I. It made me productive and sentimental. At least I don't spend so much time watching the latest scandal of Miley Cyrus or re-watching The Vow for the Nth time. I'm so easy to find. You can easily spot the Nerdy girl sitting at the Travel Section in any Bookstore. So today I spent four hours reading Glossy magazines starting from Vogue up to the latest update on Yoga and Fitness then switch to Classic literature , Award Winning and finally on Travel. I happened to finish The Great Gatsby last night in my room for four hours of uninterrupted silence. So stopping by Kinokuniya today was both a challenge and a guilty pleasure. I ended up buying a trilogy.
I like Kindle . I believe it's more appropriate at this time and age. But I am one of the many who will literally die if cyber-books will bring Bookstore to a forever doom. I like the touch and the smell of the paper as I carefully turn the pages. I like holding it and feeling how far I've come. I will leave Kindle to my boyfriend and I will stay joining the old fashion people who find indescribable happiness sitting all day in the bookstore.

I will post some quotes and snippets of the book I'm reading right now.
I will share its maddening brilliance sometime soon.
I suddenly miss having Narita flights..

No comments:

Post a Comment