Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Moving still

 I was planning to do some errands today. Woke up early, did my usual morning yoga, collect the clothes I washed yesterday and ironed them and when I was about to change clothes I suddenly felt dizzy, nauseous- the same feeling while I'm inside the aircraft experiencing turbulence. I decided to stand still. My bed is soft and it was somehow moving.  I stared at my window and I saw how the curtains were swaying like it never did before. I heard some strange cracking noise coming from the ceiling and then I saw how the lights started swaying as well like leaves in a very windy day. I looked carefully outside and saw that the high-rise building just a few blocks away from mine was actually dancing vertically. Oh no.

I felt a surge of panic. I looked for my door keys , took my phone and my IPAD. Strangely, the radio stopped playing. It was scariest and most silent 60 seconds of my life. I felt my hands turning icy cold.  The earth was shaking. This is not turbulence. I am not inside the aircraft. I was completely clueless what to do next. I want to run straight to the stairwells but too shocked to even make a slight movement, like I was paralyzed for a moment. I sent a message to my beau. I started calling my cousin. No response. I was so scared to leave my flat worrying that my entire building will come crushing down even before I reach  the ground floor. I started praying. I was decided to knock the door of my flatmate to convince her to do something. And luckily she opened her door even before I knock. We started talking like we'd never seen each other for about a hundred years. I saw terror in her eyes as she look at the lights in my room swaying. Just when we were about to ran down the hall, it stopped. The movement. The earth is stable now. Breathe. Breathe. More.

And the next thing I know I logged in my social network and found everyone sharing how terrifying that was.

What is unknown to us is the reason why we fear. Back home we normally experience terrible earthquakes now and then. But I was never alone facing it. I usually know where I can hide under. Looking around my flat there isn't really something that can protect me from falling objects. I might as well just ran for my life. I hope and pray that the buildings in UAE are strong enough to withstand this kind of calamity.

I remember what my mom used to tell me about how our house was built. She chose not to have a second floor  because she was very much terrified of quakes. She did not like staying in high floors too when outside and always vigilant for emergency exits.

'Seems like I have a thorough safety and security checks to be done in my building.

Be safe everyone!
#EarthquakeShocked

No comments:

Post a Comment