Monday, April 15, 2013

Honest to Goodness

  So I am back here in my beloved Dubai after Tokyo. Expected to just chill and relax for three days before heading back to freezing London. I love the concept of traveling. I love the idea of being always on the go. On my off days it's very rare that I spend all  the days just lying in bed watching Glee or the Big Bang Theory. I divide my offs among my passion for yoga, pampering myself with home-made spa treatments, re-connecting with friends and enjoying time with my beau. I love my job, because somehow it doesn't feel like I am working at all. I love what I do and I do what I love. Imagining myself going back to a 9-5 job just give me shivers down my back. Certainly, I don't like to be tied up in the computer the whole day without some real people interaction. I like the good surprises that comes with my current profession. Each 26th day of the month gives me a different kind of excitement as my roster will tell me where I will be busting my ass off for the upcoming month.

   Sadly, not everything is perfect. There are some bumps in the road just like with other areas in our lives. Lately, I have been a victim of racism and discrimination among my peers. I learned to be calm and collected even when in the middle of an awkward encounter, thanks to my extensive experience in handling guest complaints. Most of the time, I keep my mouth shut and just let it go, move on. However, I just realized that the more I ignored the situation the less people will be aware of how damaging these experiences are to every persons self-esteem who had experienced "work bullying".

  I don't want to leave something I love just because there are people who find pleasure in making other people's lives miserable. I know I have  a lot of things to do in order to stop this kind of behavior in our work place. Let people talk about it. Convince our Managers to implement a workshop to instill a culture that embraces people from different walks of life and cultural background. I don't know when things are going to get better.  But for now, I will wear my triple thick-skinned persona and just try to find humor when the evils start lurking in the corridors.

Boo Hoo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment