Friday, March 29, 2013

The poor man's meal

 I can't believe that right now I am suffering from a very bad cold and tremendous body ache when I woke up this morning feeling like a  superwoman. I could have caught a virus in the supermarket this morning. Damn, I can't believe I have to live with this when I have an early morning flight tomorrow.

  My recent Shanghai escapade was just amazing in every word. Three days of shopping, discovering and eating is an ideal way to live. Only when I was "actually" working that I I felt like I was being punished for something I did wrong in the past.

  Given that the flight was full but I did not expect that I will be scrutinized under a microscope for 17 hours. Every move I made, every word I said has been put to black and white and graded eventually. Sort of I went back to high school and my teacher just gave me a C or worse an F.  Now I have to review everything work-wise.


   What's not to love about yoga? It gives you peace and a hot body. Certainly now I consider I can't live without it.
   
     So today after an hour or so doing my poses I decided to immediately go to the nearby supermarket since the weather is getting warmer I better move quickly before it burns. I carefully choose the healthy stuff and avoid the aisle where they keep the sugary goods since  I know I won't be able to resist them.

I had enough veggies for a week and fruits whenever I crave something sweet.

    I was not expecting to find a line in the check-out counter on an early Friday morning since people normally stay up late on Thursdays and wake up late on a Friday. But today it's as if everyone decided to wake up early  to cook their early lunch. I had my basket full and carried them with all my strength when I noticed a middle-aged guy who looked tensed standing just behind me. He was moving a lot and I was beginning to feel rush to finish my purchases. I realized that he bought only  a 2-dirham dried fish  and just getting impatient. I looked at him closely and suddenly I was back again in my home town.

    For most of us, we decided to leave our homes in search of a better life. It's been years since I had tasted those 2-dirham dried fish locally made. It's usually my mom who prepared the "tuyo"  ( the dried fish) whenever she's having chocolate porridge for breakfast. The saltiness of the fish just complements perfectly with the sweetness of the porridge.But back home, if your eating that kind of fish when your not eating the porridge it means something else- Cutting back, Can't afford anything else. It's the poor man's meal. 

     Not everyone has been given a fair chance to prosper. Not everyone is lucky getting paid well in doing something probably they don't even enjoy doing and yet they choose to sacrifice just for them to be able to send money to their loved-ones.

     Lately, I've been complaining a lot about things that don't go my way. Just today , like a thunderbolt it hit me that even though everything is not perfect I should be grateful.

      Growing up I was lucky enough to have parents who can afford us of giving every whims of our hearts. Only later when I was about to enter College that I have to learn by force to get by with so little. But instead of feeling sorry for myself and hating the world for the misfortunes I turned my frustrations to fuel in making my dreams happen.

   Seeing the poor man today in the check-out line breaks my heart. When salary just came and he's settling for the fish made me reflect better on what this life is all about. I saw my old self again and I still vividly remembers how it feels.

     It's silly that I let some little things to occupy so much in my heart that I forget to count my blessings. When I am feeling so desperate to have a new Signature bag I should keep in mind that some of my countrymen can't even afford to buy a decent healthy meal, that when I choose to spend mindlessly I should consider investing it or saving it for some future plans.
 
   We may not have everything we want now, but certainly God will always provide us with everything we need.
     Don't forget to be thankful ...

  Have a blessed Good Friday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment