Monday, August 27, 2012

Story-telling Japan


It happened again, whenever I am doing my Narita flights I ended up having a bad case of jetlag. I know it's only a ten-hour flight with five-hour difference and yet I tend to be more like a corpse going back to Dubai. I will try to sleep for two days but hardly had any in the end. And this morning I did a turnaround to Jeddah, the early morning flight. It was only a two-hour flight but honestly it was like taking the longest flight of all.

I love Ultra long range flights with A380. I was lucky enough indeed to always have such amazing team with me who never fails to look after one another. Last time we kept ourselves awake by notoriously talking about sex and then the last Narita, my gay friends had a lovely time sharing their awkward moments in the 'biz. 

 I love Japan. But hopefully next time I come there I have someone who wants to explore as well. I don't understand why most of the crew prefers to just stay in their rooms. I hope someday when I finally seen everything I still won't settle. I dare to live to discover.

 
The first time I went to Tokyo I just ate. Since everyone just wanted to eat and then sleep, go to the gym in the morning and sleep some more. I had an amazing time with my sushi and sashimi but did not do much of what I was originally had in mind. And since I get to see Tokyo twice this month I really did make the effort to go out and roam with or without someone the second time.

After dinner with my girl Kristine from the Philippines and after several attempts to lure her to coming with me to have a stroll the next day to nurse her broken heart I still ended up defeated. I crawled back to my room and turned on the Telly hoping that watching Brad Pitt speaking in Japanese will cradle me to sleep. Well, it did not. I woke up in the middle of the night staring at the blank wall. I opened a bag of M&Ms and switched on the Flat Screen again. This time Nicholas Cage for some strange reason (maybe it was his batman-like costume) got my melatonin working. With his fun-slash-highly-violent movie KickAss with some teenage guy wearing a green-condom-like costume somehow managed to take me to dreamland.

 
The next day I felt as always, driven to go out and get some fresh air. With no map or GPRS only my stubbornness I went out by foot to search for a temple. I got on a bus and walk like a mile until I found the temple on top of the hill. It took me several funny lost-in-translations-situations asking for direction to finally arrive in my destination. I almost got hit by a speeding car not knowing it was not the pedestrian. Haha. Sharon.

 I found this massive tourist spot: the temples and a large field of greens. I found a waterfall as well. Sure, at some point I was feeling like Mulan. Oh.  I took 200plus photos with my discovery. I took the bus back to my hotel and ate like a beast. But this time, watching John Cusack helped me get some ZZZZss before I get my wake-up call.

 
Looking back a few years ago, I used to be the Front desk who delivers the wake-up call for Singapore Airlines crew in my old-hotel’s Telephone Operator Desk. Life is full of lovely surprises.

 
So, Jeddah the two-hour flight that took two hours just to board and my mind floating like feathers in the air somehow still successfully made my heart to skip a beat. I had a superb Flight Review. I still lived-up to and beyond what was expected, which was unexpected due to lack of sleep. And aside from that, salary came, I got my wishes granted for next month’s roster and my flat mate was like a corpse too when I came home. This time, I managed to sleep like a baby…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment