Friday, August 10, 2012

Lost in Translation-- Solo in Seoul

  It sort of became a habit now to just whisper " thank you Lord for this!", whenever I open my hotel room. Best thing about my job is definitely the layovers. I know I should be going back to sleep now since I need to recuperate more from the previous sleep debts I've been incurring for the past few nights, but you cannot stop me when I have this much inspiration.

   It's only been the second-month of my life as a constant-traveller, and I am just feeling amazingly blessed for this opportunity. Myself, now proclaiming to be living in a suitcase. Practically flying minimum four times per month and getting out there with just my undying enthusiasm to discover life as my guide. One thing that left me thinking today when I hit my bed after being in the aircraft for about nine hours back to Dubai was the amazing feeling that I get to know a lot of different people in constant motion. There was this HVC ( highly valued customer) in First Class who stayed talking to me for more than ten minutes or so which became evidently helpful. He wanted to stretch and find the mood to sleep  while I was indeed just doing my rounds searching for my next victim to keep me awake. I need someone to talk to. And Mr. HVC was such a hero for me that time. As he narrated his business stories and coincidentally mentioning as well that he used to stay in my previous job when he comes to Dubai with his family for a holiday made me even more convinced that nothing really happens by accident. There's just an amazing reason behind every encounter. At the end of the flight he even asked me if I will be in ATP anytime soon so we can grab a bite. Haha. It's indeed very flattering and very thoughtful of Mr. HVC. As much as I want to say yes, ( have I ever mention that I am such DOM-magnet? yes, I do. I always get proposals like that. Old men digs me, hahaha :-) kidding), I said I couldn't since I will be in Dubai only for a few days and will fly again to another exciting city . Which means I only come home to sleep like a normal person and do laundry like a normal person. I am definitely sure that Mr. HVC could have been one of my previous guests who bought my Upselling Sales Pitch back in the day. Oh, I could feel my smile from ear to ear. And there was this lovely Japanese couple who don't speak English but absolutely the sweetest people you would ever meet. I can't stop but laugh after I cater just because they will do the extra mile just for you to understand  what their trying to say. My collegues on-board and specially our Purser were simply amazing and very thoughtful. She sat right next to me on the bus and made chit-chat during the flight and look after each and every one of us like her own family.

   As with my first taste of Seoul, oh what a marvelous place to shop! Believe me, it's definitely one of the greatest shopaholic's haven so to speak. Every square foot there is a tiny shop that sells beauty stuff ( no wonder Koreans are just drop-dead flawless), another foot another shop again where you can buy art stuff, jewelries, accessories, clothes, shoes name it, they have it and in fact beautifully wrapped in such adorable packages. There are also endless strings of coffee shops and 7-elevens. I spent my entire layover just walking outside my hotel and I have no complain for the marvelous things I have seen.  One thing though, I was lost in translation. I wanted to have Korean barbecue and I want to try this and that but no english, baby. No english. I just point and point and smile hoping that this lovely human being will be able feed me what I want. And so I ended up eating something that I knew is safe but edible enough for me to get through my hunger pangs. However, at the end of the meal no doubt I could hardly feel my lips and my nose won't stop running. I don't eat hot stuff but here I wasn't able to ask them "mild spicy".

    Speaking more of being Lost in Translation , one thing about being in a group when you go sightseeing is you can always ask anybody to take your photo. So since I was doing it solo, most of my pictures were just places and hardly any trace of my face being attached to it. Oh you might ask, if I requested any local to take my picture. I did that. Only after finding out that she was taking my picture right above my head. Poor me, I only had ONE Seoul photo with me in it. Oh well, I know I will get Incheon soon anyway.

     Seoul is a vibrant city full of life and beauty. Looking at Koreans marching their way to work when I did my city tour the next day made me take a second hard look at myself. They are seriously taking care of their face and their body, women and men alike. Toned mucles, well-chiseled arms, and  breath-taking sirens walking in their five-inch stilettos with their Frappucinnos, for me was like seeing the Devil wears Prada Movie, Korean style. The style and glamour in the city is just so titilating. And loads of PDA too. Couples expressing their affection with each other is something that I hardly see here, it would be really nice to take your significant other to Seoul to have some soul-cleansing. :-)

     On my return I will definetely go for the Traditional Korean. See the temples and churches, eat loads of Korean BBQ and see traditional costumes worn in Jewel in the Palace.

   And of course for the sake of my lovely relatives, perhaps I will grab a copy of their favorite Korean star in a Korean magazine.

     I drank  half a bottle of wine the night before I get to Incheon just to be able to have the minimum sleep. My bus going to work was five minutes late and both of my mobile phones went battery empty even before I reach my hotel room. And imagine having bought two different kinds of adaptors that won't work that I ended up sulking in agony for not having a camera for my day-sightseeing tour. But you know what, it has been all worth the pain. I got to do my own misadventures in Seoul, bought stuff that I wanted, feel the vibe of contantly being a tourist  and taste the happiness of being able to freely walk in the grounds I used to only dreamt about.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment