Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Child Magnet

I took the Metro today and got lost. I took the other lane and brought me to other side of the city. I never take public transport since I moved when there used to be somebody to pick me up and drive me to almost everywhere. I never really had the chance to explore what real tourists feel when they go out there to discover things foreign to them. The scorching heat of the sun did not stop me to walk on foot and push doors to see what they offer. The sight and smell of the Old Dubai reminded me of my college days in Manila when I used to do night market with my best friend. Good deals, authentic local cuisine, street stories and pick-pockets and the commute, totally excruciating but real fun I must say.
The Summer Shopping festival is about to end and retail therapy has always been my favorite thing. I don't know how can I get over the stuff from Bath&Body Works. I know I cannot eat the scented candles and all but those lather-y stuff that smells so good but who cares they lift my spirits up and they made me sleep better. They sell them now 75% off so who can argue with that? Alright, I am spending way too much because they smell good. I promise I have enough of that stuff already.

On my way back, as I carefully examined if I am standing on the right lane a girl about seven was staring at me. I smiled and she came over to shake my hands. She was so sweet and asked how's my day been so far." Fine, thank you for being the first person to ask me". She touched my sundress and ran towards her mother with the black veil. Maybe she wants to borrow my dress when she's old enough because she doesn't want to be covered with that black thing from head to foot with only the eyes being exposed.

As I hurriedly went to Borders to meet my best friend for dinner I got stuck in the elevator with a couple with two young children. The boy is maybe about six and the girl is about two in a stroller. They kept yelling with excitement with their blue eyes glaringly at me when a tiny voice in my head started to ask when am I going to get those? Oh my, I have no idea.

In between bites and the local showbiz news with my bestie another Arabic kid came to our table out of nowhere. He was standing beside me. I asked him what he wants but apparently he's got no idea what I am talking about because I bet he doesn't know how to speak any English. With his long lashes and small curls, damn this kid is going to be heart-breaker, and then the father came who seems to be a heart-breaker himself.

As much as I don't want to get into conversation with regards to marriage and kids I guess I cannot escape from it. Yeah, it's our age. But I don't want to be like the rest who just want to get hitched because that's just how things should go when you reach a certain age. There's no point in looking back and wishing if only things were different between me and so-and-so maybe I am already having a boy or a girl and a husband and not a spinster sleeping alone in her my bed. Oh well, it's better to be patient than sorry.

Anyway at the moment, I'm alright being a child-magnet. I want to get married and all but right now I just want to finish my shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment